Friday, June 20, 2008

Kids in the kitchen


A great way to spend time with the kids is cooking. Not only is it great bonding time, it is a great math lesson (right Laurie). There are fractions galore in the kitchen.
Tonight Victoria and I made a pizza. Jeff had a men's meeting and they will be having pizza. So I decided that we would make our own.
Not only do they taste better than a frozen premade pizza, they are cheaper than a hot pizza from your local pizza store. Ok, so it wont be cheaper than your places with $5 deals, but I am talking about your multi-topping pizzas.
Our favorite is a Hawaiian Pizza. The crust is homemade and we top with pizza sauce, cheese, Canadian bacon, pineapple, and sometimes mushrooms. Adam does not like mushrooms so I don't always put them on there. Usually I just tell him to pick them off.

My sister-in-law gave me a recipe for a deep dish crust. It will make 3 deep dish "personal pan" type crusts. I like to keep roll whole and put it on my Pampered Chef large cooking stone.


The recipe for the crust is

1 package yeast (I buy in bulk so use 1 1/4 tsp)
1 TBSP sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup nonfat dry milk

1 1/3 cups warm water (105 degree) (laurie puts hers in a mason jar and cooks in microwave for 1 minute)
2 tbsp oil

4 cups flour
cooking spray to spray around outer edge of crust

Put yeast, sugar, salt, and dry milk in a large bowl.
add water and stir to mix well. Allow to sit for two minutes.
add oil and stir again.
add flour and stir until dough forms and flour is absorbed.
Turn out onto a flat surface and knead for about 10 minutes. Divide dough into three balls. IN three 9" cake pans, put 3oz of oil in each making sure it is spread evenly. (Laurie uses a little less than 1/4 cup of oil per pan). I agree with that too, when I use the pans.

using a rolling pin, roll out each dough ball to about a 9" circle. place in cake pans. spray outer edge of dough with cooking spray. cover with a plate and place in warm area and allow to rise for 1-1 1/2 hours.
top with favorite toppings and bake.
I like to mix my flour too. Sometimes I will use 1/2 all purpose white flour and 1/2 whole wheat flour.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Just had to post again...You blog is really neat! With the remainder of that pizza dough I roll thin on saran wrap, wrap, then freeze on a cookie sheet. (Once the crust is frozen the cookie sheet can be removed.)

Then when you are in the mood for a "thinner" crust pizza, just take one out of the freezer, grease your pizza pan (with cooking spray), thaw for about 20-30 minutes (longer if you want a thicker crust); top with favorite topping, cook and EAT!!! Again much better than frozen pizza and it is your homemade version right out of your own freezer. Makes for a quick meal after church or on those busy soccer mom evenings!!!

Unknown said...

BTW...your pizza looks YUMMY!!!