Monday, October 27, 2008

Barbie and Elmo

What happened to Barbie, baby dolls, and Elmo?

There was a time in our house when a new Barbie would brighten the eyes of a little girl. I understand that time passes and little girls grow into young ladies and other things become more important and interesting.

Victoria doesn’t care too much for telephones, make up, and hair…yet. She has entered into a time of clothes and more expensive toys.

She will be 12 on November 26th. Her wants are few; a digital camera and a Wii game. Of course, she has some needs as well. But she doesn’t list those. I suppose those are unspoken things that I should just know to get for her.

This weekend she dressed up ‘80’s. Seeing her with her hair all fixed up and make up on was a bit shocking for me. She suddenly didn’t look like that little girl any more. She is a young lady.

Another thing I am finding a bit difficult with all this growing up business is Elmo. I bought her an Elmo around the time she was 18 months old. He wasn’t the “Tickle Me Elmo”, he was a simple little Elmo. He had a voice box that when you pressed his tummy he said “Elmo Loves You”. Buying him was a fluke. We were in Toys R Us in Little Rock killing time until Jeff got a lunch break. She was pushing one of those plastic carts around and I threw in this $10 Elmo. She just loved him! So I bought him for her. Little did I know that she really, really LOVED him. He went EVERYWHERE with her. As a matter of fact we still have him and until recently she still slept with him. He has the appearance of a much loved stuffed friend. Well over the last week or so she has moved him out of her bed and he sleeps in a doll crib in her room. I asked her if she was ready to store him and she said not yet. It is still of some comfort to have him in the same room with her. It is sad for me because it is just another sign of her growing up.

I hope she knows how much I love her!

5 comments:

Diane said...

Oh she knows!! She is growing up fast!

JENNYB said...

Thanks Diane:)
just feeling a little sentimental today.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Of course she knows you love her, but I don't think they will fully understand "how much" until they have a little girl of their own!! Emilee always slept with her pillow and blankey but they've recently been "moved" to the chair in her room. Sweet post!

Anonymous said...

Just checking in. Yes they do grow fast! Enjoy before she gets the teenage attitude. I hope she had a good time as the 80's girl! She looked cute. Guess I better get to bed before I eat much more of the Halloween candy. Can't stay out of it, only when I'm sleeping!